Deirdre Thompson, Director of Patient Care
Our Director of Patient Care, Deirdre Thompson is primarily responsible for the provision of expert clinical guidance to our Trust Board and for establishing and quality assuring appropriate standards of care and clinical governance. The Director is responsible for setting the standards of clinical practice and underpinning educational and training levels required to achieve those the Trust operates to and assuring our Corporate Board of our compliance to those standards.
- The provision of strong clinical leadership at all levels throughout the Trust
- To ensure the Trust has the clinical capacity to provide safe reliable care for its patients
- To establish appropriate standards of clinical care and ensure they are communicated and understood by all staff responsible for delivering care
- To ensure systems are in place to monitor delivery for clinical care across all areas of Trust activity
- To contribute to the development and implementation of alternative models of clinical care to meet the diverse needs of patients
- To ensure the Trust Board understands its statutory duties in respect of patient care and takes action to ensure these duties are met
I have worked in the health sector since 1983 starting my career as a Healthcare Assistant before commencing my registered nurse training in Dublin, Ireland in 1984.
Once qualified in 1987 I came across to Buckinghamshire and I worked for a number of years in various Acute Hospital Trusts across both Buckinghamshire and Berkshire. The main focus of my direct clinical experience over the years has been across Accident and Emergency, Burns and Plastics, Trauma and Orthopaedics and Tissue Viability.
In the latter years of my career I have had the opportunity to undertake various management and leadership roles from Operational Management, Chief Operating Officer and Director of Nursing roles.
I am passionate about patient quality, safety and patient experience and how this can be maintained and improved in the backdrop of the changing face of health and social care. I also value the contribution that our staff both registered and unregistered make and strive to ensure that excellence can be achieved with committed and supported staff.