Skip to Main Content



news What can we offer?

Annual Leave

Annual leave entitlement is 27 days (202.5 hours) per annum, rising to 29 days (217.5 hours) on completion of five years service and to 33 days (247.5 hours) after 10 years service. In addition, staff are entitled to the statuary 8 bank holidays per year.

All leave entitlements are pro-rata for part-time employees.

Pension Scheme

Staff have the option of contributing to the NHS Pension Scheme. Full details will be sent with any offer of employment.

Family Friendly Policies

Staff are entitled to the following in accordance with the NHS national terms and conditions handbook:

  • maternity/adoption leave
  • paternity leave
  • parental leave

We have a childcare subsidy scheme. This provides Childcare Vouchers that can be used as part payment for the care of children under 5 years of age. The scheme is managed by Busy Bees.  

Smoke Free Policy

SCAS operates a smoke free environment across all its premises.

Employee Assistance Programme

As a free service Positive People Company (PPC) offer expert advice, invaluable information, specialist counselling and support to cope successfully with all major life events - the things that could potentially cause anxiety and stress, including: buying a new home, getting married, having kids, moving location, responsibility at work, family crises, illness and much more.

PPC can help you to stay happy, healthy and fully focused on life and work. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your questions - all completely confidential.

Fair Processing Notice to all Applications for Employment

South Central Ambulance Service is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and we may use the information you have provided on your application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For further information please visit our Counter Fraud and Security Management page or contact Barbara Sansom our Information Governance Manager on 01869 365096 or email


All new staff attend the Trust Corporate Induction within six weeks of joining the Trust. Local induction is facilitated in the local department or specialist area to ensure new members have the information, knowledge and support they need to make their first few weeks as smooth as possible.

Training and Development

The NHS is committed to offering development and learning opportunities for all full-time and part-time staff, and at South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust you will have access to extra training and the opportunity to progress within the Trust.

An in-house training programme is also available, together with courses through our partnership work with local universities.

The Trust also supports personal development through internal transfers and secondments to other areas or project posts, allowing staff to climb the skills ladder and giving them a sense of direction in their career development while contributing to departmental goals. 

Staff benefit from yearly appraisal which includes Personal Development Planning, goal setting to enable them to contribute to the Trust vision, goals and overall organisational development plan, while achieving both professional and personal goals. 

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust has three fully equipped training centres, serving each of the counties we cover: Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Hampshire.

We have long standing relationships with higher education institutes, and in particular Oxford Brookes University and University of Portsmouth, who provide Paramedic Diploma and Degree Courses.

We fully recognise and work in partnership with trade unions, including; Unison, Unite and APAP.

What is the Foundation Degree?

Over 20 universities run further education programmes at both degree and foundation degree level in Paramedic Science, a full list of the HPC approved courses is available from HPC Website.

These courses lead to registration in order to practise as a paramedic.

Students can access these courses on a full time basis via the normal Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) application route and they would not be employees of an ambulance service but would carry out work placements within the local ambulance service.

The entry requirements for each of these courses are varied and therefore it is advisable for you to contact the university you are interested in for specific information.

Alternatively, there are part-time courses available.

Acceptance on one of these courses is dependent on being an employee of an ambulance service as students are funded to attend on a part-time basis, and for the remainder of the time work operationally for the Trust. You would be employed as a Student Paramedic.

What does a student Paramedic do?

As a student paramedic you will undertake a mixture of academic study, operational training and operational shifts responding to incidents. Whilst undertaking operational shifts, you will work alongside a qualified, clinical member of staff who will provide supervision.

Along with your crew-mate, when you arrive at the scene of an emergency, you will assess the patient's condition and take potentially lifesaving decisions about any treatment needed before the patient is transferred to hospital.

You will be trained to drive what is in effect a mobile emergency clinic and to resuscitate and/or stabilize patients using sophisticated techniques, equipment and drugs.

You might be called out to someone who has fallen from scaffolding, for example, or an elderly person with a suspected stroke.

Based at a local ambulance station along with other emergency crews, you will work shifts, including evenings and weekends, going out in all weathers at all hours of the night or day. You will work closely with doctors and nurses in hospital emergency departments, briefing them as you hand your patient over to their care.

As well as contact with your patients, you will also deal with patients' relatives and members of the public, some of whom might be hysterical or aggressive. You will also often work alongside the police and fire brigade.

What are the entry requirements?

We currently only recruit internally for this position. You can join the Trust as an Emergency Care Assistant or as a qualified Technician and then work your way up from there.

How do I apply?

When the post is advertised on the NHS Jobs website, you will need to apply and follow these simple steps:

  • Complete an application form on the NHS job website
  • Obtain a nomination from your clinical and operational supervisors
  • Ensure that your portfolio is up to date
  • Complete a reflective piece of work
  • Must have 5 GCSEs (University requirement).

If you meet all the above requirements, your next step will be an interview with SCAS and the University.

If you need any assistance in completing an application form, please contact our recruitment team.


We like to recognise staff members who go the extra mile for patients and for the Trust as a whole, either day-to-day or over the course of their career.

AMBIES – Every year our winners are invited to an annual awards ceremony evening where we celebrate the dedication and commitment shown by staff to the Trust and our patients. ‘AMBIES’ is not an acronym, it’s a unique name derived from ‘ambulance services’.

The Queen’s Ambulance Good Conduct Medal – The award recognises people for their hard work and exceptional dedication. The Queen’s Ambulance Service Medal is synonymous with The Queen’s Fire Medal and The Queen’s Police Medal.

The Queen’s Ambulance Long Service Medal award: When you have worked at the Trust for 20 years, you receive an award!

Retirement awards: For those retiring after 25 years’ continuous service.

Childcare vouchers

As a NHS employee you can save money on your childcare through our childcare voucher scheme.

Discounts and lifestyle benefits

As a NHS employee you can access a range of discounts from a selection of local and national providers of entertainment, holidays, travel, food and drink.


All permanent clinical staff employed by the NHS (except doctors and dentists) may be eligible to take advantage of the HomeBuyService scheme.  Find out more at





Bookmark and Share