Deirdre Thompson, Director of Patient Care
Director of Patient Care
I am the Director of Patient Care and I am primarily responsible for ensuring the safe provision of high quality patient focused care. I lead a professional and high performing team to ensure ongoing and consistent patient safety and quality standards and adherence to clinical controls and improvement in patient outcomes. I provide expert professional advice to the Board of Directors and the Council of Governors and also provide clinical advice and support to all operational activities so that clinical needs drive operational activities, complementing and supporting the delivery of quality and access targets and requirements.
My core responsibilities include:
- Lead Executive Director for clinical governance and quality - delivering improvements in the quality of clinical care and agreed clinical quality programs
- Ensure the application of a risk management approach and patient safety guidelines to embed clinical standards
- In conjunction with the Medical Director, lead the development of the Clinical Strategy
- To provide professional clinical leadership within the Trust, ensuring the development, and discharge of, governance arrangements for the Trust's registered and unregistered clinical staff
- To advise the Board of Directors on service developments, taking account of national guidelines and examples of excellence in service provision
- To be the Trust's lead Executive Director for Safeguarding both adults and children, Director of Infection Prevention and Control and the Trust Caldicott Guardian
I have worked in the health sector since 1983 starting my career as a Healthcare Assistant before commencing my registered nurse training in Dublin, Ireland in 1984. Once qualified in 1987 I came across to Buckinghamshire and I worked for a number of years in various Acute Hospital Trusts across both Buckinghamshire and Berkshire. The main focus of my direct clinical experience over the years has been across Accident and Emergency, Burns and Plastics, Trauma and Orthopaedics and Tissue Viability. In the latter years of my career I have had the opportunity to undertake various management and leadership roles from Operational Management, Chief Operating Officer and Director of Nursing roles. I am passionate about patient quality, safety and patient experience and how this can be maintained and improved in the backdrop of the changing face of health and social care. I also value the contribution that our staff both registered and unregistered make and strive to ensure that excellence can be achieved with committed and supported staff.